Crank and Cam Sensors. Mx5 1.8 turbo project

Support, tips, maps - anything relating to the new MX-5 PnP!
bigvanish
Apprentice

Crank and Cam Sensors. Mx5 1.8 turbo project

Postby bigvanish » Mon May 20, 2019 8:03 pm

Good afternoon,

I am assembling a kit car based on a 1.8 1994 MX5 engine. (Forced induction added with usual mods to accompany this). I have purchased a ME221 PNP gen 1 ECU for the project (Ebay) .

The vehicle loom is being created from scratch with only the old connectors being salvaged in order to connect to the OEM sensors, TPS, Injectors etc. As the entire loom is being created from scratch it would seem sensible to add the further wiring to the ECU to enable sequential injection. I appreciate the benefits are not hugely significant whilst pushing for power but smoother idle and better emissions are appealing when I am going to the hassle creating a loom anyway. This is where I am looking for a little support;

I have installed a 36-1 trigger wheel on the crank pulley and have a 1999 NB Crank sensor fitted to the engine. You have provided a guide for modifying the ECU to accept the NB style CAS and Crank signals which involves desoldering resistors and adding further. My question is this, would I still need to remove both R6 and R7 resistors if I utilise the NA CAS for the CAM signal? (to pin 2G).

I had a look in MEITE and it would seem I can select the standard MX5 NA CAS for the CAM input and a 36-1 for the crank. If I can run this combination, which resistor do I leave and which do I remove ( assuming I still have to make a modification to accept the Crank position sensor from the NB vehicle)?.

Many thanks,

Hec

bigvanish
Apprentice

Re: Crank and Cam Sensors. Mx5 1.8 turbo project

Postby bigvanish » Tue May 21, 2019 2:20 pm

I asked the same question by means of a support ticket and I was advised that I cannot receive support as I did not purchase the unit new from the manufacturer. I find this very disappointing and something that anybody considering buying one second hand should be aware off. It seems that if you purchase a tuned vehicle with this ECU, customer support in the future will have to be provided only by fellow ME forum users who are kind enough to share info.

In my opinion this approach seriously undermines the monetary value and usefulness of the unit as a second hand item. I understand there is a need to make money as a business and customer support costs time, but as the forums are the first place I visited when considering the ME221 ecu I think its only fair to share this information.

I have jumped ship from Megasquirt to ME221 for this project and hopefully I can find the answers to my original query with some considered research.

On the plus side, the rest of the install, CAS/CAM issue aside seems to have been straight forward and I am looking forward to getting her tuned. :-)

Return to “ME221 Miata/MX5 Plug-n-Play”